Do-It-Yourself Homemade Remedies
Get quick relief for that poison ivy with home remedies using ingredients direct from the kitchen cabinet, especially when there's no calamine lotion on hand!
Discover how to's using remedies such as oatmeal, vinegar, baking soda, and a few other surprisingly effective & soothing treatments whenever a poison ivy rash begins to drive you to distraction ....
Oatmeal - Simply boil up the oatmeal in water as you normally would. Let it cool for a few minutes, then apply warm to the effected area, Ideally, the mixture should be applied until a thick layer forms. It will harden as it dries. Most sufferers swear by this treatment, which is sometimes combined with a tablespoon or two of baking soda for extra relief from itch and oozing.
Baking soda - This treatment has also become a classic homemade cure, made by mixing 3 teaspoons of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water until a thick paste forms. Apply to the rash and let dry. Another tried-and-true method for many poison ivy sufferers is full immersion in a soothing baking soda bath.
Vinegar - Just sprinkle liberally on rash or blisters for instant relief from itch. Although the smell may not be to everybody's liking, vinegar seems to help draw out the "poison" from poison ivy while it also helps healing. White distilled vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, seem to work best.
Banana peel - Touted by many as a homemade "miracle cure", the inside of a banana peel rubbed on poison ivy rashes seems to bring instant, cooling relief.
By some accounts, banana skins may even do the trick when all other poison ivy treatment fails.
Aloe Vera gel - A logical alternative, aloe vera is known to heal minor skin cuts and bring relief from sunburn, so apply liberally to effected areas to help sooth the itch and aid in healing.
Dishwashing liquid - Perhaps the most practical treatment of all, dishwashing liquid's anti-grease agents make it a common-sense remedy for poison ivy when applied liberally from the bottle at full strength. Simply wash off with cool water.
Note: Very rapid redness and unusually high swelling are two major symptoms that occur in those who suffer from severe allergic reactions to poison ivy. If this is the case, forgo any homemade treatments and SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY.